I avoid eating salad whenever possible. Whenever we get kale in our CSA (and when we do, we get a LOT of it), I’m tasked with coming up with other applications for its use besides in the raw. This is one of my favorites.
I don’t believe I’ve ever had rice that I didn’t like, and the kale adds really beautiful texture and flavor to this dish. I usually cook the rice earlier in the day (or even the night before) so that it is cooled and ready to go. If you’re in a rush to get the rice cooled, spread it in a thin layer on a baking sheet and put it in the freezer.
I chose to top the dish with a fried egg, because… I wanted to up the protein content? Maybe, but it’s mostly because fried eggs are amazing. The runny yolk all over this kale rice along with a healthy amount of sriracha and lime juice on top made this weeknight meal come together perfectly. If you’re vegan, try adding edamame or any other protein source that you like!
This recipe is: vegetarian, gluten free, vegan (don’t top with a fried egg)
- 1/2 – 1 whole bunch of kale, depending on how much you like and the size of the bundle (remember that it will cook down significantly!)
- 2 cups of your favorite cooked, cooled rice (I used a red rice blend)
- 1/4 cup scallions
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced (less if you don’t like garlic as much as we do)
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 lime, quartered
- 4 eggs (if vegan, try adding edamame or another protein source)
- In a large wok (or skillet), heat 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, ginger, and scallions, and cook for 1 minute. Add kale and juice from 1 lime quarter. Cook, stirring often, until kale is wilted. Add sriracha and stir to combine.
- Push the kale to the sides of the wok, add the remaining oil to the center of the wok, and press the rice on top. Allow rice to sear for a minute or two. Stir the rice, then repeat the searing a couple of times to add a toasty flavor. Add the tamari and juice from another lime quarter. Combine everything and remove from heat.
- Fry the 4 eggs in a skillet so that the yolk is still runny.
- Divide the kale rice mixture between 4 bowls and top each with a fried egg.
- Serve with additional tamari, lime, and sriracha.