Panzanella is basically a bread salad (i.e. a dream come true). This dish is summery and beautiful and simple and incredibly tasty. Plus, grilling bread is always fun (and eating it is even better). If you don’t have access to a grill, a grill pan would also work nicely.
For the bread, I used a crusty sourdough loaf, but any crusty loaf will do fine.
I don’t care for olives, but if you do, they’d probably be great sliced and thrown on top of this. If vegan, leave out the parmesan cheese topping.
This recipe is: vegetarian, vegan
- 1 head of radicchio, thoroughly washed and dried, sliced in half
- 1 loaf of crusty bread, sliced into ~1″ thick slices
- 1 cup whole basil leaves, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
For the dressing:
- 1 minced shallot
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat grill or grill pan to high. Brush bread slices with olive oil and grill a minute or two per side, until grill marks are present. Cut grilled bread into 1″ cubes.
- Drizzle olive oil, salt, and pepper over radicchio halves and grill about 1 minute per side, until edges start to char. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Mix the radicchio, bread, basil, and dressing in a large bowl. Depending on the loaf size you used, you may have some dressing left over. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper, and lemon juice if necessary. Top with parmesan cheese and serve.