This a simple and delicious way to prepare eggplant. Plus, it gives you an excuse to grill, which is always fun (or, if it’s winter and you don’t want to venture outside for a grilling adventure, you get to break out the grill pan). The eggplant is marinated, giving it super flavor. And of course, grilled onions go wonderfully with this. Don’t forget to dehydrate your eggplant a bit before grilling!
I served this over couscous, but it would be delicious alone, over rice or quinoa, on bread, or however you like!
This recipe is: vegetarian, vegan, gluten free
- 2 Japanese eggplants
- 1/4 cup water
- kosher salt
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- 2 tbsp cilantro, minced
- 2 spring onions with greens
- Cut eggplant into 1/2″ thick slices on a diagonal. Lay the slices on a cutting board and generously sprinkle both sides with salt. Let sit 30 minutes. Transfer to a salad spinner, rinse, and spin dry. Place in a shallow dish or resealable bag.
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients (sesame oil through red pepper) , pour over the eggplant, and marinate 1-2 hours.
- Slice onion bulbs in half and remove and slice greens.
- Preheat a grill to high and grill eggplant slices 2-3 minutes per side, until grill marks appear and the inside is soft. Grill onion bulbs simultaneously.
- Garnish eggplant and onion with the onion tops and cilantro, and serve immediately.