Panzanella is like salad, except way better and with a bunch of bread in it. What’s not to like about that? This one is also really easy and has a zesty vinaigrette that pulls everything together wonderfully.
This recipe is: vegetarian, vegan
For the panzanella:
- 1 delicata squash, seeds removed, sliced into thin half moons
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cups bread cubes (I used a crusty Italian loaf)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 bunch arugula, stems removed, chopped into bite size pieces
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp parmesan (exclude if vegan)
- 1 tbsp fresh sage leaves (or 1 tsp dried sage)
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Toss the squash slices with 1 tbsp oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes. Toss bread cubes with remaining oil, and roast in the oven for 15 minutes, until the bread is dry throughout and toasted.
- While the squash and bread are roasted, prepare the dressing.
- Remove bread from the oven and toss in a large bowl with the dressing. Add the warm squash and arugula and toss, until evenly distributed. Garnish with sage leaves and/or parmesan.