This is one of my favorite salads to make. It’s really tasty and filling and comes together pretty quickly.
Recipe from Minimalist Baker.
This recipe is: vegetarian, vegan, gluten free
For the chickpeas:
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed, drained and dried
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- Heaping 1 tsp cumin
- Heaping 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Heaping 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Scant 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch each black pepper, ground coriander + cardamom
For the salad:
- 5 oz (141 g) spring mix lettuce
- 10 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup (28 g) red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup (45 g) fresh parsley
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup (120 g) hummus
- 3 cloves garlic (1 1/2 Tbsp or 9 g), finely minced or grated
- 1 tsp dried dill (or 2 tsp fresh dill)
- 1 lemon, juiced (2 Tbsp or 30 ml)
- Water to thin
- Preheat oven to 400°F and position a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Add washed and dried chickpeas to a mixing bowl. Add olive oil and all seasonings and toss to combine. Sample a chickpea and adjust seasonings as needed (I added more cumin and ginger). Arrange chickpeas in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Set aside.
- While chickpeas are cooking, prepare all salad ingredients and add to a bowl. Set aside.
- To prepare dressing, add hummus, garlic, dill, and lemon juice to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Then add warm water and whisk until pourable. If not eating salad immediately, skip to step 7 for now.
- Add half the dressing to the salad and toss to combine.
- Divide between serving dishes and top with chickpeas and remaining dressing.
- For best results, store leftovers separately (chickpeas in a container at room temperature, salad ingredients in refrigerator, dressing in a container in refrigerator). Keeps for 2-3 days, though best when fresh.