Feel free to add whichever vegetables (fresh or frozen) are your favorite!
I also suggest serving this in bowls. As you can see from the above picture, serving it on a plate was a sub-optimal choice.
This recipe is: vegetarian, vegan
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 egg + 2 tbsp water, mixed; or melted vegan butter
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Grease an 8×8 baking dish.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil to a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, and cook until soft and translucent, 4-5 minutes. Add the carrots and garlic, and cook an additional 2 minutes, stirring often and making sure the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Stir in the flour, then slowly whisk in the broth. Stir in the almond milk and bay leaves. Simmer until the mixture is thickened, about 10 minutes.
- When the sauce has thickened, add the frozen vegetables, and simmer 4-5 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Remove the bay leaves and transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Cut the puff pastry to fit over the top of the dish, tucking in the sides around the filling. Brush the top with egg/water mixture or vegan butter. Cut vents in the top and add freshly ground black pepper if.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake until crust is golden brown and mixture is bubbling, about 25-30 minutes. Let sit at least 5 minutes before serving- it will be very hot!