Recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs (I use Italian bread crumbs, but panko or plain will work) + 1/4 cup for coating meatballs
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add about 1 tbsp of the sun-dried tomato oil. Add the minced garlic and cook until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add to a food processor or blender with the egg.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes with oil, bread crumbs, basil, parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, if using, and dried oregano. Pulse until combined.
- Add the chickpeas and pulse until a dough is formed and no chickpeas are left whole. If necessary, add more breadcrumbs, oil, or salt.
- Heat the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add enough olive oil to form a thin layer on the bottom of the skillet (1-2 tbsp), and add the meatballs, cooking in batches to avoid overcrowding if necessary. Cook for about 5 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally to crisp all sides of the meatballs.
- Add meatballs to a bare baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Use this time to prepare pasta, sauce, or whatever else you plan to accompany the meatballs!