Make sure to freeze the Nutella first as directed! It will be difficult to work with later if you don’t, and the Nutella will blend into the blondies instead of remaining delicious pockets. And after baking, they’re going to look and smell amazing, but resist cutting them for 2-3 hours or you’ll have a giant mess on your hands. These take quite a while to set.
This recipe is: vegetarian
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1.5 (180g) cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 12 tbsp (170g) butter
- 1.5 (250g) cups dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Make room in the freezer for a baking sheet or other flat pan. Cover the sheet with parchment paper. Scoop 1 cup of Nutella into 16 1-tbsp dollops on the sheet. Freeze for at least 20 minutes, while you are preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F, and line a 9×9 pan with parchment paper.
- Brown the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the browned butter and dark brown sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add the vanilla and mix. Use a wooden spoon to stir the flour mix into the butter mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the pan. Remove the Nutella from the freezer and evenly place the drops into the batter to make a 4×4 square pattern. Cover with the other half of the batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the top is shiny and cracked and a toothpick inserted (in a non-Nutella region) comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool and immediately sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Before cutting, allow to cool for at least 2 hours, preferably 3. These take a really long time to set and will be a mess if you try to cut them too soon. After waiting, cut into 16 squares and serve.
Makes 16 blondies.