If you don’t know how to make paneer, I recommend this recipe.
Recipe adapted from Veg Recipes of India.
This recipe is: vegetarian, gluten free
- 9-11 oz spinach, with any hard stems removed
- 12 oz paneer, sliced into cubes
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 small Indian bay leaves
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger paste + 1 tsp garlic paste (1/2 in. ginger and 7 small-medium cloves garlic, ground to paste)
- 1.5 tsp finely chopped green chiles (or 1/2 tsp red chili powder)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp fenugreek
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 3-4 tbsp heavy cream
- salt to taste
- Blanch the spinach for 3 minutes and immediately place in an ice bath. Remove after 1 minute and place into a blender. Blend into a smooth puree, scraping the sides of the blender jar as necessary.
- Heat the oil in a medium-large skillet. Cook the paneer cubes in the oil until lightly golden brown on each side. Remove the paneer to drain on paper towels and set aside.
- To the same skillet, add the cumin, bay leaves, and turmeric. Saute until the cumin seeds crackle, then add the onions and saute until they are light golden.
- Add the garlic ginger paste and chopped chiles, and cook until the smell of raw garlic goes away.
- Add the black pepper and fenugreek and stir well, then add the spinach puree. Season with salt to taste. Stir well and simmer for 5-6 minutes, until thickened.
- Mix in the garam masala and cream, then turn off the flame. Add the paneer cubes and cover the pan. Serve with basmati rice and/or naan.