These are my attempt at copying the nugget burritos from Bombers, which I love very, very much. I suggest 3-4 nuggets per burrito, but this can be increased or decreased depending on your preferences.
This recipe is: vegetarian, vegan
For the yellow rice:
- 2 shallots or a small yellow onion, diced
- 2 tsp oil of choice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 cups brown rice
- 2.25 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- cilantro, to taste
For the burritos:
- 4 soft tortillas of choice (I use 10″ whole wheat)
- 12-16 “chicken” nuggets (I use Morningstar or Wegmans “Don’t be Chicken” nuggets)
- ~3/4 cup salsa of choice, or to taste
- optional: cheese (I use Daiya shredded cheddar) of choice
- aluminum foil
- Begin by making the rice. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan on medium-high heat. When hot, add the onion and cook until it starts to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the rice, broth, salt, and turmeric, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed. The timing on this will depend on the type/brand of rice you have, so check the package directions. Mine took about 50 minutes.
- When there is approximately 20 minutes left on your rice cooking, start cooking your nuggets according to the package directions.
- When the rice is done, stir in the black beans and cilantro. Cover and set aside.
- Slice your nuggets into strips.
- To make them soft and pliable, wrap tortillas in moist paper towels (not wet, you just want them to have a little moisture to them) and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Assemble your burritos. Place a tortilla on a piece of aluminum foil. Add 1/4 of the rice, salsa, cheese, and top with the nuggets. Roll the burrito in the aluminum foil. Allow the burrito to sit in the aluminum foil for 2-5 minutes before eating (this allows the cheese to get melty).