Adapted from Avocado Pesto.
This recipe is: vegetarian, vegan, gluten free
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 head garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 carrots, diced (no need to peel if they’re organic)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tsp paprika (can be any combination you like- I used all Hungarian paprika)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 14oz coconut milk
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dried parsley or 1 tbsp fresh
- optional: green onions for topping
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Cut the top off the head of garlic, revealing a small portion of each clove. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and wrap in aluminum foil.
- Toss the cauliflower florets with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Spread the cauliflower in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake the cauliflower and garlic for 30 minutes.
- Heat about 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and cook for a few minutes, until beginning to soften. Add paprika and parsley.
- Add the vegetable broth, and bring to a boil.
- Add the roasted cauliflower and garlic to the pot (squeeze the garlic paste out of the cloves).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree until smooth with an immersion blender.
- Add coconut milk and nutritional yeast. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Season to taste with pepper and salt.
- Serve topped with green onions, if desired.