Adapted from Minimalist Baker.
This recipe is: vegetarian, vegan, gluten free
- 10 oz pasta of choice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp cornstarch (or flour if not gluten free)
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened plain almond milk (or any unsweetened milk)
- Salt and pepper to taste (~1/2 tsp each)
- 4-6 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup vegan (or not) parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- optional: 1 cup green peas (thawed if frozen) and crushed red pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a couple tablespoons of salt and pasta, and cook according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, stirring frequently to prevent burning, about 1 minute.
- Reduce heat slightly and add 4 tbsp corn starch or flour, and whisk to combine. Cook for about a minute and add almond milk 1/4 cup at a time and whisk to prevent clumps. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and add salt, pepper, vegan parmesan cheese, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and blend on high until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Taste and adjust seasonings- you want it to be pretty cheesy and salty, so don’t be shy!
- Return sauce to the skillet and cook on medium heat until it bubbles, then reduce heat to low and cook until thickened, stirring frequently. If the sauce is too thick, add additional milk.
- Once sauce is ready, add pasta, peas and toss. Cook for 1-2 minutes to warm through, and then serve with additional parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper.