Adapted from Vegetarian Ventures.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 cup flour of choice
- 3-4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 15-oz cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 oz can chopped green chiles
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cup milk of choice, warmed (I used a combination of almond milk and cream because that’s what I had)
- optional: 2 oz cream cheese
- Adobo seasoning
- lime juice
- optional garnishes: avocado, tomato, whatever
Heat olive oil over medium in a large stock pot. Add onion, pepper, and jalapeno and sautee for 7 to 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft and onions translucent.
Add garlic and cumin and saute for another 30 seconds.
Next, add flour and toss until the vegetables are coated. Slowly whisk in the vegetable stock 1/2 cup at a time, and then add in beans, green chilies, and corn. You want enough stock to cover your beans and vegetables but not much more. Add Adobo seasoning to taste.
Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat down to medium-low and let simmer for 15 minutes.
Stir in warm milk and let simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Optionalbut recommended: Remove about 2 cups of the soup and add the cream cheese. Blend together (I did this right in the measuring cup) with an immersion blender. Return to the pot. Use the immersion blender to puree more of your chili if desired; it will give it a thicker, creamer texture.
- Season with Adobo and lime juice to taste. Top with desired garnishes before serving.