This seems like a very bizarre idea but it’s actually really, really good- like a weird low carb pizza!
Adapted from Just One Cookbook.
- 1 block firm tofu
- 2 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 4 tbsp tomato sauce of choice
- basil leaves
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- optional: parmesan cheese, grated
- optional: parsley for garnish
- Slice the tofu into quarters lengthwise (to make four big rectangular slices). Place something heavy on top of the tofu and drain for 15 minutes.
- Season the corn starch with 1/2 tsp salt and pepper and mix well. Coat all sides of the tofu with the starch mixture.
- Heat a couple tbsp of oil in an oven-safe skillet (I used cast iron) over medium-high heat. Cook the tofu until the bottom is crispy and golden brown. Flip and brown the other side.
- Top each tofu slice with 1 tbsp tomato sauce, tomato slice(s), mushrooms, and basil. Heap a bunch of cheese on top of each.
- Place skillet in oven and broil for 2-5 minutes (depending on your oven), until the cheese is melted and browning. Serve immediately, top with parsley if desired.