Recipe from Cherry Blossom Kitchen.
- 1 eggplant, 16 ounces
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 10 large basil leaves, cut into chiffonade strips (optional)
- 1/3 cup Parmesan, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup low-fat mozzarella, grated
- crushed red pepper flakes for sprinkling over finished pizza (optional)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Cut off both ends or the eggplant, then slice into ½ inch thick slices. Place slices on a double layer of paper towels, sprinkle both sides with salt and let sit for about 30 minutes to draw out liquid.
- Preheat oven to 375°F while eggplant slices sit.
- Wipe the eggplant dry with paper towels to remove the salt and moisture.
- Spray a baking sheet with olive oil. Add eggplant slices to pan and brush the tops with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning.
- Roast the eggplant about 25 minutes or until softened but not mushy.
- Remove eggplant from oven when done and adjust the oven to broil. Spread a couple of tablespoons of sauce on top of each slice. Top with cheese. Broil until the cheese melts and is slightly browned. Watch carefully.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!