Adapted from The Edgy Veg.
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 3/4 cup no chicken broth
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2-3 cups of no chicken broth
- 2 eggs or flax eggs
- 1-2 tbsp buffalo hot sauce + about 1/4 cup more (Noble Made makes a really good vegan buffalo sauce)
- 1/2 tbsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups flour
- In a mixing bowl, mix together wheat gluten, salt, nutritional yeast, onion powder and poultry seasoning.
- In a larger bowl, combine ¾ cup broth and tahini and whisk until smooth.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet and stir until well combined.
- Knead the dough until it is elastic but not dry. Sprinkle some additional gluten flour if you find you have made your dough too sticky.
- Divide the dough into small little disks, it’s fun to try and shape them into wing-like shapes. Keep in mind they will grow a bit, so make then smaller then you would normally. Place in a casserole dish, covering them with 2-3 cups broth.
- Bake wings in broth for 1 hour at 350 degrees, flipping at 45 minutes. Allow to cool.
For the batter:
- Whisk together the egg, buffalo sauce, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper into a medium size bowl.
- Put the flour and black pepper into a large container.
- Dredge chicken wings into the egg mixture then toss into the container of flour. Repeat this step if you want your wings to be extra crispy.
- Deep fry in a large pot of oil or deep fryer at 350° for 5-8 minutes or until light brown and crispy. Remove wings to a paper towel lined plate or tray.
- (update, because I actually like this cooking method more:) Alternatively, the wings can be air fried or baked in a convection oven. Bake at 500°F for 6 minutes, then flip and continue cooking until crispy, about 4-6 more minutes.
- Toss the wings in additional buffalo wing sauce and enjoy with celery or carrot sticks!