adapted from Moosewood.
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 fresh chile, minced, or ¼-½ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 red or green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup fresh or frozen cut corn
- 24 oz firm tofu- frozen, defrosted, and then crumbled or mashed
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- optional: ¼ cup chopped green olives
- optional: 1/2 cup black beans
- optional: 1/2 oz monterey jack cheese per burrito
- 6 wheat tortillas (10-inch)
- your favorite salsa
- optional: sour cream, cilantro
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and sauté the garlic, chile or cayenne, and onions for a minute or two. Stir in the bell peppers and continue to sauté on medium heat. When the onions begin to soften, add the paprika, cumin, coriander, oregano, corn, and crumbled tofu and continue to sauté.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. When the vegetables are tender, mix in the tomato paste, soy sauce, and the olives and/or black beans if you wish. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Lightly oil a baking pan or shallow casserole dish. Fill each tortilla with about ¼ cup of the tofu-vegetable filling and the optional cheese, and roll it up. Place the burritos in the oiled pan, cover tightly with aluminum foil, and bake for 20 minutes. Serve topped with salsa, sour cream, and cilantro, if desired.