by Carla Lalli Music.
- 3 Tbsp grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 12 oz cultivated mushrooms, cut into 1/2-inch slices (a mix of shiitake, oyster, and button works well)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1/4 cup salsa of choice
- corn tortillas (2-3 per person)
- sour cream or creme fraiche, to garnish
- chopped tomatoes or salsa, to garnish
- chopped cilantro, to garnish
- lime wedges, to garnish
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp of the grapeseed oil and the garlic over medium-high heat. When hot, add the mushrooms in a single layer. Cook, undisturbed, until browned on one side, 2-3 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and stir; the mushrooms should release some water. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until squeaky and dry, about another 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of salsa and stir well. Cook for 2 minutes, then remove from heat. Adjust seasoning, then scrape mushrooms and juices onto a plate.
- Clean the skillet, then heat the remaining 1 Tbsp oil over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and cook until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add the beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- If you have a gas flame, carefully heat the tortillas one by one over the open flame, then place in a clean towel to keep warm. Serve all the taco components and let you companions build their own tacos.