adapted from Sundays at Moosewood.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 large bananas)
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (or plain yogurt)
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 3/4 cup unsweetened grated coconut
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp rum
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup unsweetened grated coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F. and butter a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan. To make the batter, in a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter. Stir in the egg, bananas, milk or yogurt, and lime juice. Add the salt, ginger, and grated coconut and mix well. Sift the flour and baking powder together in a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet one and mix them until smooth. Pour the batter into the buttered loaf pan and bake for one hour. Cool the bread for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Meanwhile, for the glaze, combine the brown sugar, butter, rum and lime juices in a small saucepan on low heat. Stir constantly for 5 minutes, until it becomes a thin syrup. Pour the glaze over the loaf spreading it with a spatula or spoon to coat the top and sides, sprinkle with toasted grated coconut evenly over the glazed loaf.
NOTE: To toast the coconut, spread on a baking sheet and toast in the oven or toaster oven, 1 minute in a toaster oven and about 10 minutes in a regular oven. Watch it closely so it does’nt burn.