adapted from Blue Apron.
- 4 oz paneer cheese (can also use any non-melting cheese, like halloumi, cotija, etc.)
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 poblano pepper, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 lime, quartered
- 2 Persian cucumbers (or 1 regular cucumber), halved and sliced crosswise into half moons
- 1/2 lb cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup creamy chipotle sauce (blend/process 1/4 cup sour cream + 1 chipotle in adobo + salt to taste)
- Squeeze the juice of 2 lime wedges over the sliced avocado. In a bowl, whisk together the creamy chipotle sauce and the juice of the remaining lime wedges. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place half the sliced onion in a medium heatproof bowl. In a small pot, combine the sugar, vinegar, and 1/4 cup of water; season with salt and pepper. Heat to boiling on high. Once boiling, carefully transfer to the bowl of sliced onion. Set aside to cool, stirring occasionally, at least 10 minutes.
- In a medium pan (nonstick, if you have one), heat a drizzle of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the sliced pepper and remaining sliced onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 7 to 9 minutes, or until lightly browned and softened. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan.
- In the same pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil on medium until hot. Add the diced cheese (carefully, as it may pop). Cook, without stirring, 1 to 2 minutes, or until lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes, or until crispy and browned. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced cucumbers and cabbage, chopped peanuts, pickled onion, and pickling liquid. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to thoroughly combine.
- Heat the tortillas over an open flame or in the microwave. Assemble the tacos using the warmed tortillas, cooked vegetables, sliced avocado, browned cheese, and sauce. Serve with the slaw on the side.