FOR THE PESTO
- 1 cup carrot top greens, tough stems removed
- 1/4 cup (packed) basil and/or Italian parsley
- 2 Tbsp finely grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1 Tbsp chopped toasted pine nuts, walnuts, or cashews
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/2 cup barley or farro
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 8 oz organic rainbow carrots, scrubbed and tops trimmed with about 1/2-inch stem still attached
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 15-oz can cannellini (great northern) beans
- Cook barley according to package directions, adding the sliced garlic and plenty of salt to the pot.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Toss carrots with olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Roast, tossing occasionally, until carrots are golden and tender, 25-35 minutes.
- While the carrots are roasting, make the pesto. Pulse the garlic and nuts in a food processor until a coarse paste forms. Add the carrot tops, basil/parsley, lemon juice, and parmesan, and process until smooth. While the motor is running, pour in the olive oil, scraping sides as necessary.
- Mix the cooked barley with the beans and most of the pesto (reserve some for topping the finished dish) and transfer to a serving dish. Top with the roasted carrots and remaining pesto, and serve with additional parmesan cheese and lemon wedges, if desired.