adapted from Cookie and Kate.
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained, or 3 cups cooked chickpeas
- ⅔ cup chopped tomatoes or roasted red peppers, or a combination
- ⅔ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp honey
- 4 medium cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes (scale back significantly if sensitive to spice)
- In a medium serving bowl, combine the chickpeas, red peppers, feta and basil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, honey, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Pour the dressing over the chickpeas and stir. Cover the bowl and stick it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, for best flavor. The salad keeps for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Serve by itself as a side or on top of your favorite greens as a filling salad.
serves 4 as a main dish, 6 as a side.