This is the (very lightly adapted) legendary mac & cheese recipe from Lightning Bolt’s Smokehouse on the main Facebook campus in Menlo Park!
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 4 oz butter
- ¼ cup AP flour
- 2 cups milk, brought to room temperature
- 1 lb American cheese slices
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- Cook the elbow macaroni in salted water according to package directions.
- Heat butter in a heavy bottom sauce pan until melted. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes, until starting to smell a bit nutty. Add the milk about 1/4 cup at a time, whisking after each addition, and stir until the mixture is thickened. Mix in the garlic and mustard powders.
- Add the American cheese in handfuls, whisking after each addition.
- Mix in the pasta and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately, or transfer to a greased baking dish and broil for a few minutes until the top is golden brown.