Cool yogurt, crunchy seeds, and avocado turn lentils into a lunch salad you’ll actually be excited to eat. Serve it with warm pita for swiping up the garlicky yogurt.
adapted from Bon Appètit.
- 1½ cups French green lentils, rinsed
- ¾ teaspoons kosher salt, divided, plus more
- 1⅓ cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoons ground turmeric
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup unsalted, roasted pepitas
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 ripe avocados, cut into cubes
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn if large
- Heat about a teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat in a small skillet. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and starting to brown, 1-2 minutes. Add to a small bowl with the yogurt, turmeric, ¼ tsp salt, and a few twists of black pepper; set aside.
- Cook lentils in a large saucepan of simmering generously salted water until they are tender but still retain their shape, 20–30 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold running water, and drain well again.
- Toss lentils, sunflower seeds, lemon juice, 3 Tbsp oil, and remaining ½ tsp salt in a large bowl. Gently fold in avocado, arugula, and basil.
- Spread reserved yogurt sauce across a platter or individual plates and spoon lentil mixture on top; drizzle with oil.