adapted from Isa Chandra Moskowitz
FOR THE SOUP
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups broccoli, stalks and florets separated and chopped
- ½ cup carrots, julienned (no need to peel if they’re organic)
- 1/4 cup AP flour
- ¾ teaspoons ground turmeric
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE CASHEW CREAM
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 Tablespoons white miso
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium. Add diced onion with a pinch of salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the broccoli stems and half of the carrots. After broccoli and carrots are beginning to soften, add the flour and mix until fully incorporated. Continue to cook until the broccoli and carrots are completely softened.
- Add the cashew cream ingredients to a blender along with the cooked onions, garlic, broccoli stems, and carrots. Blend until completely smooth.
- Transfer cashew cream to the pot and add the vegetable stock, broccoli florets, remaining carrots, salt, and turmeric. Cook at a low simmer until the carrots and broccoli are cooked to your liking, about 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.