tofu ricotta adapted slightly from Simple Veganista.
- 18 jumbo shells
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups packed fresh spinach leaves (about 4 ounces), roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- optional, for topping: fresh basil, additional vegan parmesan
FOR THE TOFU RICOTTA
- 1 14-ounce block tofu, soft, firm or extra firm, drained but not pressed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons mellow white miso
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt + pepper, to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cook the shells until very al dente, about 2 minutes less than the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil begins to shimmer, add the garlic and cook until it begins to brown, about 1 minute. Add the spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leaves begin to wilt but are still bright green, about 3 to 4 minutes. The spinach should be reduced by half. Set aside.
- Add all of the tofu ricotta ingredients to a food processor and process until completely smooth, scraping down sides as necessary.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the spinach, tofu ricotta, parmesan, basil and salt and pepper until thoroughly combined. Taste and adjust seasoning. Pour half of the marinara sauce into the bottom of a shallow 9-inch by 9-inch baking dish. Stuff each pasta shell with a generous amount of the spinach and tofu ricotta mixture, and place in the baking dish.
- Cover with the remaining sauce and bake covered for 15 minutes. Remove the cover and continue baking until the top begins to brown and the sauce begins the bubble, another 10-15 minutes. Serve immediately topped with parmesan and basil.