This was an attempt at using random things that I had in the pantry and fridge, so hopefully you can use it similarly. Many ingredients can be swapped or de/increased based on what you have!
You can also easily sub the dry beans/hominy with canned (½ dry is about 1 15-ounce can).
- ½ cup beans, such as pinto, black, and/or navy, soaked
- ½ cup hominy, soaked
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 teaspoons cumin
- salt, to taste
- 2-4 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1-2 Tablespoons vegetable or other neutral oil
- ½ cup tomato paste
- ½ bunch cilantro, leaves & tender stems chopped and divided
- Juice of ½ small lime (about 1 Tablespoon)
- optional, for serving: shredded lettuce, toasted pepitas, vegan sour cream, jalapeños, sliced radishes, lime wedges
- Add beans and hominy to a large pot with the bay leaf, 2 chipotles, cumin, salt, and oil, and cover with about 2″ of cold water. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook until beans and hominy are tender, about 1 hour, adding water as necessary to keep the beans from getting dry.
- If using canned beans or hominy, add them to the pot now. Add the tomato paste, half of the cilantro, and more chipotles to taste. Simmer for about 15 minutes, until the flavors have really come together. Remove the bay leaf, and add lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with the rest of the cilantro and any other desired toppings.
makes about 3 bowls.