from Cookie and Kate.
- 1 large bunch of kale (about 10 ounces)
- 1 14 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- optional, omit if vegan: ½ cup feta crumbles
- handful of dried cranberries
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup pepitas
- 3 corn tortillas (or a couple handfuls of crumbled tortilla chips)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 large lime)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped jalapeño (about 2 medium jalapeños), membranes and seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon honey (or agave nectar)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch of salt
- To make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients until emulsified.
- To prepare the kale: Use a chef’s knife to slice out the thick ribs, then discard the ribs and chop the leaves into small, bite-sized pieces. Transfer the kale to a big salad bowl. Sprinkle a small pinch of sea salt over the kale and massage the leaves with your hands by lightly scrunching big handfuls at a time, until the leaves are darker in color and fragrant.
- Drizzle salad dressing over the kale (you might not need all of the dressing) and toss well so the kale is lightly coated with dressing. Add the drained black beans, feta, cranberries, avocado and chopped cilantro to the bowl.
- Toast the pepitas in a skillet over medium-low heat for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until they smell fragrant and start making little popping noises. Transfer the pepitas to the salad bowl. Toss the salad to combine.
- To make the crispy tortilla strips: Stack the corn tortillas and slice them into thin little strips, about 2 inches long. Heat a large pan over medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Once the oil is shimmering, toss in the tortilla slices, sprinkle them with salt and stir. Cook until the strips are crispy and turning golden, stirring occasionally, about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tortilla strips from skillet and drain on a plate covered with a piece of paper towel. Top the salad with crispy tortilla strips and serve.
makes 4 medium salads.