…not at all sad! Just a great thing to make when you don’t have a lot in the pantry.
slightly adapted from Alex Delany.
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 6 egg yolks (save the whites for an omelet or meringue)
- 16 ounce box of pasta (gemelli, fusilli, or some other shape with lots of surface area is recommended)
- 12-16 ounce bag of frozen peas
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- optional, for serving: grated parmesan
- Boil salted water for the pasta and cook until very al dente, about 1-2 minutes less than the package directions instruct.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a small pan over medium-low heat and cook the garlic until soft throughout and slightly brown, about 2-3 minutes. Remove and chop into smaller pieces. Drain the oil into a medium bowl. Whisk the egg yolks into the garlic oil until blended.
- About 30 seconds before the pasta is done, add the bag of frozen peas. Before draining, reserve about 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- In the pasta cooking pot, immediately combine the pasta and peas with the oil and egg yolk mixture. Toss everything together to coat, adding the garlic and crushed red pepper, salt, and black pepper to taste. Add enough pasta water to make a silky sauce, and continue to add if the pasta seems dry or the egg is solidifying too quickly. Serve topped with more black pepper and parmesan cheese.