- about 10 ounces marinated chickpeas (I used Trader Joe’s chickpeas with cumin and parsley)
- 3 cups vegetable stock (homemade is best)
- about 3 1″-thick slices day-old country or whole wheat bread, torn into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 eggs
- optional, for topping: Fresh cilantro or parsley leaves
- Make the croutons. Preheat the oven to 400F. Toss the torn bread with the olive oil and a pinch of salt. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown and crisp, about 15-20 minutes. Midway through the baking time, redistribute the croutons if they are coloring unevenly.
- Meanwhile, heat the stock and keep warm.
- Divide the croutons and chickpeas between two bowls, and top with a spoonful of Harissa. Add a spoonful of capers, too.
- Right before serving, poach the eggs in lightly simmering salted water. Poaching typically takes less than 2 minutes.
- Ladle the hot stock in to each bowl, and top with a poached egg. Garnish with herbs, if desired, and serve immediately.