adapted from Epicurious.
FOR THE FILLING
- 2 Tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 24 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 14.5-ounce jars marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 11 ounces baby spinach, chopped
FOR THE MORNAY
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 7 cups whole milk
- 11 ounces freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Ground nutmeg
- 1 9-ounce package oven-ready (no-boil) lasagna noodles
- 1 pound whole-milk mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Make the filling. Melt butter and olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat (you will probably need to do this in two batches or two skillets). Add mushrooms and garlic; sauté until mushrooms release juices are browning, about 15-20 minutes. Add artichokes and wine. Cook until liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. When liquid is almost completely absorbed, mix in the spinach in large handfuls, waiting for each to wilt before adding more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make the mornay. Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until butter has stopped bubbling, about 1-2 minutes. Add flour; cook until raw flour smell dissipates, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk, about 1/2 cup at a time. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until sauce thickens and lightly coats spoon, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Stir in 2 1/2 cups Parmesan. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and ground nutmeg.
- Spread about 2/3 cup béchamel sauce over bottom of 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Top with enough noodles to cover bottom of dish. Spread 1/4 of artichoke mixture over. Spoon 2/3 cup béchamel sauce over. Top béchamel with 1/4 of mozzarella.
- Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons Parmesan. Top with enough noodles to cover. Repeat layering 3 more times, finishing with a layer of noodles, then remaining béchamel. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover with foil and refrigerate.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake lasagna covered with foil 1 hour (or 1 hour 15 minutes if chilled). Remove foil. Increase temperature to 450°F. Bake lasagna until golden on top, about 10 minutes longer.
serves about 8.