lightly adapted from Bon Appétit.
FOR THE DRESSING
- 1″ piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- Juice of ½ orange or 1 mandarin orange
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ Tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Kosher salt
FOR THE RICE & ASSEMBLY
- 1 small head of broccoli (about 5 ounces)
- 3 Tablespoons (or more) vegetable oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup chilled cooked brown rice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced on a steep diagonal
- ½ cup cilantro leaves with tender stems
- for serving: Crushed red pepper flakes
- Whisk ginger, garlic, orange juice, vegetable oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, and sesame oil in a small bowl; season with salt. Measure out 1½ Tbsp. in a separate small bowl; this will be the dressing for the celery salad.
- Trim about ½” from woody end of broccoli stem. Peel tough outer layer from stem. Cut florets from stems and thinly slice stems about ½” thick. Break florets apart with your hands into 1″–1½” pieces.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large cast-iron skillet—or non-stick if you don’t have one—over medium-high until just beginning to smoke. Add broccoli, season with a good pinch of salt, and toss with a spatula to coat in oil. Cook, undisturbed, until well charred on one side, about 5 minutes. Mix with spatula and continue to cook, tossing occasionally, until broccoli is crisp-tender and scallions are wilted, about 2 more minutes.Transfer to a large plate.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil in the same skillet over medium-low. Add the rice and ginger-citrus dressing (minus the separated 1½ Tbsp.). Toss well to combine, then press down evenly into skillet. Cook, undisturbed, until rice is slightly crisped on one side, about 5 minutes.
- Return broccoli to skillet and toss well to combine. Remove from heat and transfer to a platter or divide among plates, and set aside.
- Wipe out skillet; heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil over medium-high. Crack eggs into skillet; season with salt. Oil should bubble around eggs right away. Cook, rotating skillet occasionally, until whites are golden brown and crisp at the edges and set around the yolk (which should be runny), about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss celery and cilantro with 1½ Tbsp. reserved dressing and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl to combine.
- Scatter celery salad over fried rice; top with fried eggs and sprinkle with red pepper flakes.